tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Tapestry at Top Level Project
Date Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:03:16 GMT
Anyone up for tapestry.apache.org? (I noticed we did have a discussion
about this back in March.)

I've been saying for some time that Jakarta is turning into more of a
second-level incubator; all successful projects (including Ant and
Struts) have migrated up to top-level projects. It's been made clear
to me that this is not only possible for Tapestry, it is desirable.

In organizational terms, this would mean that Tapestry would have its
own Project Management Comittee. We would have to produce quarterly
reports to the Apache board. Our home page address and mailing list
addresses would change.

The advantage is that we could break Tapestry into smaller pieces
(projects within the TLP) and each sub-project could have its own set
of committers.  This, combined with using Maven 2 for builds, would
give us a lot more flexibility and room to breathe.

However, it requires a chairman to report to the board and I'm pretty
desperate for that to ** not ** be me. I say this out of a mix of
lazyness (I'm already too busy), self awareness (I do terribly at any
kind of organization stuff) and political savvy (it would some ways
demonstrate that Tapestry can survive without HLS).

A TLP move would also be a good time to:
- Rethink our release numbering strategy
- Create new project marketting assets (icons, etc.)
- Ask HiveMind if they would like to move from Jakarta to Tapestry

On that second point ... does anyone have any ideas about refreshing
the Tapestry marketting assets?  It might be nice to have someone
(semi-)professional design new icons and such.  The Circle-T is really
looking dated!

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry