tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Geoff Longman" <glong...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Jakarta-tapestry Wiki] Update of "Tapestry5LookupDebate" by GeoffLongman
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 03:05:53 GMT
Cool. Thanks for having a look.

The issues I laid out w/respect to implicit namespace bounday crossing
have become clearer to me as I stuggle with implementing Spindle for
T4.

Note though, that I present my findings/suggestions in the context of
the Tapestry implementation and useablility, not in the context of
tool support. While some tweaks to Tapestry would make building tools
easier, and I welcome any such consideration in future versions, I
have figured out how Spindle will address these issues for T4.

Geoff

On 2/17/06, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm home for a few days; I'm printing this out to try and guage what's
> going on. I'm expecting that we may find some things Geoff is afraid
> people will try to do that we may add checks for (to make illegal).
> Or maybe we'll find another solution.
>
> On 2/12/06, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
> > Dear Wiki user,
> >
> > You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Jakarta-tapestry Wiki" for
change notification.

> > The following page has been changed by GeoffLongman:
> > http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-tapestry/Tapestry5LookupDebate

> >   }}}
> >    Is a user supplied class used to resolve pages when all else fails. Since the
developer of the application supplies an implementation of `ISpecificationResolverDelegate`,
no implicit boundary crossing can occur anyways. The implementation of Tapestry is free from
responsibility.

> > + And that's it for lookup rules. As a lark, I changed my local copy of Tapestry
3 to conform to my suggestions (not the alias tags though). At work here we have a Tapestry
3 application, otherwise I would have hacked the Tapestry 4 code. This app has over 300 pages
and components (in total) and runs without any error I have been able to find so far. I suspect
the same would be true if I had hacked up the Tapestry 4 source code. Perhaps not a good example
as the application is proprietary and I can't share any implementation details. But one could
take this as a sign that my suggested changes are not catastrophic.
> > +
> > + There is one more issue. In Tapestry 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 a change was made to allow
libraries to be defined in the context instead of the traditional place (the classpath). In
Tapestry 3 I don't see this as a big deal but in Tapestry 4 this in effect makes every library
page/component implicity a member of every application namespace in the war file. That's not
good. I would suggest that libraries longer be allowed to be defined in the context.
> > +
> > + Although, I may be missing something here. Help me out. Why was this change made?
In other words, why is it a good thing that libraries can be defined in the context?
> > +
> > + This is the end of the comments I wanted to talk about.
> > +
> > + Rip away.
> > +

> Howard M. Lewis Ship