tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Kuhnert" <jkuhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BeanForm Move
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 04:08:03 GMT
Yeah sure, definitely take your time.

Hmmm....I've already bugged apache legal enough about it that I think I
won't try and push it too much. More or less it ended up being that by
default anyone who downloads apache software should expect that everything
is completely free (as much as ASF 2 license allows at least) without worry
or hassle about anything else...So...If we want to build something that
~depends~ on non apache safe licenses we have to make very sure that users
understand this as clearly as possible.

I have no idea how an alert feature like that would work :) I have a feeling
the maven people might want to add it as an official maven plugin if there's
a chance any other project might want to do similar licensing things.

The easiest solution would be a very simple maven plugin that just prints
out whatever text you configure it to print out with, with the option of the
user having accepted/not accepted what you presented to them. Something like
a console-based modal dialog. (sort of? )

On 7/11/06, D&J Gredler <djgredler@gmail.com> wrote:

> If there's no rush, I think I'll take a couple of weeks and do it at a
> leisurely pace. The SF project is Maven2-based, so the docs should
> transfer
> nicely. Do you know of any Maven "license alert" examples that I can draw
> from? Also, the Hibernate dependencies have a scope of "provided" (i.e.
> the
> user has to provide the Hibernate jars at runtime if they want to use the
> Hibernate integration features), though I don't know if that makes a
> difference.
>
> On 7/11/06, Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I forgot to answer your original question.
> >
> > No rush on getting it done by the end of the week, not much will change
> > other than us having documentation for most of the important items.
> Final
> > is
> > probably still a ways off.
> >
> > Also, there are a few caveats to adding this in that you should be aware
> > of:
> >
> > -) Should go in tapestry-contrib , think you already know that.
> >
> > -) Should come with maven2 compliant documentation. You should be able
> > find this in the root documentation directory under src/site .
> >
> > -) The not so fun part, we'll need the contrib build step(ie via maven2
> )
> > do some sort of interactive confirmation on the command line, only for
> the
> > first time contrib is built. This is to satisy the ASF requirements for
> > having anything built that might rely on outside un-friendly ASF license
> > code...Like lgpl and hibernate. The confirmation step only needs to have
> > text in it that says something along the lines of "Some portions of the
> > library you are building contain non apache 2.0 licensed code. This
> > includes
> > hibernate library dependencies which use an LGPL license. Please confirm
> > that you understand. "
> >
> > Something like that. You really don't have to go through all of this
> > trouble
> > if you don't want to, but since I'd have to do it one way or the other
> if
> > we
> > included your code I'd rather shift the burden to you :)
> >
> > If you decide to keep the code in an outside library I would
> understand...
> > We don't make the rules..
> >
> > On 7/10/06, D&J Gredler <djgredler@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > George Lucas is waiting in the wings for them to get bought by Red Hat
> [...]
SF project (