tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark Stang" <mst...@pingidentity.com>
Subject RE: T5: Brandable
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 02:27:21 GMT
Jesse,
The problem wasn't the internals it was how a "library" was defined in the .application file.

I have a component that is say a Support component.  It describes the running Server.  The
information in that Component is not just straight HTML, it is other Tapestry Components.
 For instance, we put a copyright on the bottom.  For our product it says our company name.
 For the OEM version, it says something else.  Now I could go through my entire application
and put if "if/else" where ever there is a difference, but how do I go back and maintain them
in the future?  Tapestry is based on Components!  Or what if I want to add another OEM partner,
do I now have to go back and put in if/else/else?  Tapestry is based on Components!  So, I
create two components, how do I tell it which one to use?  I am not going to put in if/else
all I should have to do is use a different library.  How do I do that?  The only way is to
keep the name the same but have a different location for the .library an d its pieces.  Which
means I have to either change the .application file or I have to put out a "bogus" .library
file that gets replaced in a build.

What I would like to see happen in T5 is for me not to have to specify in the .application
file the location of the .libraries, I would like to have it read each .jar and if it has
a .library file, then it is a library.  The problem there is how do we determine the "name"
of the library?  For instance, I use "@branded:PingLogo", how does it associate "branded"
with a particular .library file?  Either use the name of the .library file or come up with
some mechanism for it to determine it automatically.  I don't know, but having to hard-code
it in a .application file caused me a lot of grief.  We know create a .library file for each
branding and then parse it to generate a .library that has the correct path to the components.

I have a working version based on T3.  Converting to T4 from T3 and then to T5 is to much
work.  Therefore, we will either switch to T5 if I can make it work, or abandon it and move
to something else.

regards,

Nark

Mark J. Stang