tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r495012 - in /tapestry/tapestry5/tapestry-core/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/tapestry/internal/services/ test/java/org/apache/tapestry/internal/services/
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:06:53 GMT
Sometimes I get a little sloppy and forget to run a clean maven build before
I check in.

There's some decided differences between the Eclipse compiler and the Sun
JDK compiler when it comes to generics.  From what I can tell, Eclipse is
wrong but it feels so right :-)   Seriously, Generics is a crock of shit.  I
did finally realize why Generics are so god awful complicated ... if you did
the right and simple thing (let the compiler introduce the necessary cast)
that would work most of the time, but it would make selecting the correct
method difficult when you have method overloading (lots of methods with the
same name but different parameters).  Java really wants to be able to
determine that at compile time, and with you start pulling out real typing,
it becomes a runtime decision.