tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [T5] If component / else
Date Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:30:40 GMT
There's been a proposal to add a "then" parameter as well, thus:

<t:comp type='If" test="loggedIn">
<t:parameter name="then">
 Welcome to the show, ${userName}!
</t:parameter>
 <t:parameter name="else">
   Click <a t:type="ActionLink" t:id="login">here</a> to log in.
 </t:parameter>
</t:comp>

On 1/14/07, Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've probably mis-understood the example / or am just being too
> conservative. My misgivings come in thinking that we're going to be
> fighting an uphill battle getting people who are normally used to
> thinking in terms of:
>
> if  () {
>
> } else if () {
>
> } else {
>
> }
>
> to think in terms of:
>
> if () {
>
>    else {
>
>    }
> }
>
> It makes sense from a component development / template parsing
> perspective, but may be one of those things that makes writing some
> slightly more complicated logic in the component is worth the
> abstraction not leaking out into the template code. At least in this
> instance.
>
> On 1/14/07, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 1/13/07, Jesse Kuhnert <jkuhnert@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Probably not adding anything useful to the conversation, but is the
> > > intention that this is just an example of how to use nested parameter
> > > block controls? If so, cool!
> >
> > Glad you like it.
> >

> > > If it is an example of the "real" If component (I can't imagine it is,
> > > but who knows) then I'd be very concerned about the example. Not from
> > > the component writing ease of use standpoint, but more from the
> > > template writing point of view / readability.
> >
> > As of right now, this is valid.  I'm not sure I follow your objection.
> >

> > --
> > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > TWD Consulting, Inc.
> > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
> > Creator, Apache HiveMind
> >
> > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

> Jesse Kuhnert
> Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Howard M. Lewis Ship