tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "D&J Gredler" <djgred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: T5: default binding is prop even in template
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:33:56 GMT
I like the direction Howard is taking with the bindings, but I think Ron has
a good point. What matters is not only what the developer has to *do*, but
also what the developer has to *know*. This extends even to areas like
Jesse's suggestion of making this configurable: if this is configurable,
that configurability is just one more thing that Tapestry developers
can/should be aware of.

A good test might be to ask: "given that the developer knows the standard
available binding types, will it be obvious which binding type corresponds
to this parameter?" Once this is done, it becomes a matter of debate as to
whether the increased load on the developer (having to conciously think
about the obvious default for a parameter) is worth the savings (less
typing, more concise code, DRY).

I'd say continue down the per-parameter-defaults path without even making it
configurable, as long as they're all obvious and it's not going to create
any rifts in the community...

Just my opinion, of course.