tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: question about the render phase diagram
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 14:58:28 GMT
I think that's a very good point; I was just looking at the Form
component the other day and wondering to myself why there's both
SetupRender and BeginRender.

Making this suggested change would be useful; for components that may
not decide to render at all, that decision belongs in SetupRender.
Components that want to render a tag but not their template/body would
make that decision inside BeginRender.

On 3/6/07, Robert Zeigler <robertz@scazdl.org> wrote:
> So, I've been studying the RenderPhase diagram for awhile. There's
> one thing about it that's been bugging me. It shows that a return
> value of "false" from a BeginRender method will shift execution flow
> directly to CleanupRender, skipping AfterRender. Although I can think
> of rationale for why that might be, it seems inconsistent with the
> rest of the state machine: in every other case, a "begin" or "before"
> state returning false causes a skip to the corresponding "after"
> state.  Why the inconsistency? Or is this an error in the diagram? I
> tried looking at the api docs. BeginRender has this almost helpful
> sentence fragment at the end of its docs:
> "Returning false will skip rendering of the template and/or body, and
> jump directly to the"
>
> The suspense is killing me... jump directly to the... what? :)
>
> Robert

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry