tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: T5: tapestry-hibernate or tapestry-ORM?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 18:43:52 GMT
I suspect in the long term there will be two layers of ORM, one aimed
at more typical CRUD applications and designed to be simple with
minimal or zero configuration, and another approach that supports more
sophisticated options, including precise control over transaction
demarcation.

Tapestry's action/render request split is actually very nice here,
because we can wrap a transaction around action requests that commits
at the end, and wrap a transaction around renders that rolls back at
the end (since you shouldn't be updating anything during a render
request).

There will also be the option to commitAndContinue the transaction
associated with the request, something you would do after performing a
specific update.

On 3/7/07, Yunhua Sang <yunhua.sang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to provide declarative transaction with orm module? This
> would be very appreciated.
>
> For instance:
>
> @Transactional(strategy="required", context="transaction-managers.jta".
> method="*" )
> Dao buildDao() {...}
>
> and even used in components:
>
> @Transactional(strategy="requiredNew", context="transaction-managers.cics" )
> onSubmit() {..}.
>
> Accually I'd like to see an ORM built upon t5-ioc, that would be amazing.
>
> Anyway, T5 is very impressive, great job!.
>
> Yunhua
>

> On 3/7/07, Ted Steen <ted.steen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I guess that its better to get something out instead of trying to
> > do everything _too_ general and pluggable.
> > Also it is often easier to make a specific implementation and the
> > factor out the general parts, as you said.
> >
> > Nice! keep up the good work!
> >
> > 2007/3/7, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com>:
> > > I'm planning on doing a tapestry-hibernate initially, but we'll see if
> > > we can refactor out a tapestry-orm o make it easier to support other
> > > approaches (without a lot of code duplication). I suspect there'll be
> > > the assumption that a single project only uses a single ORM.

> > > --
> > > Howard M. Lewis Ship
> > > TWD Consulting, Inc.
> > > Independent J2EE / Open-Source Java Consultant
> > > Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
> > > Creator, Apache HiveMind
> > >
> > > Professional Tapestry training, mentoring, support
> > > and project work.  http://howardlewisship.com

> > --
> > /ted

Howard M. Lewis Ship