tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Daniel Jue" <teamp...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry at Denver & Boulder JUGs
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:09:49 GMT
I vote for both minimal and kitchen-sink examples.  When I was first
starting with Tapestry (and it was also my very first web app ever,
having never started with jsps, etc), the Tapestry Workbench was
overwhelming.  So many things were woven together that I couldn't pick
out the pieces easy enough.  Although, once I started learning more,
it was great to pick out pieces here and there.

I really appreciate the simplicity of the existing Tap 5 archetype.
It also makes it easy to start off your screencasts!

My preference would be a series of quickstarts that take care of "the
way Tapestry 5 does things", enough so that I can just referece a
Hibernate/etc book for the specifics.  And of course, a Advanced Core
archetype to show us the T5 core components running in captivity.

Tap 5 Quickstart  (could stay unchanged)
Tap 5 Advanced Core   (shows off all the core components, like the workbench)
Tap 5 Hibernate (simple like quickstart, that pulls from hibernate and
puts into a grid)
Tap 5 Spring (could be combined with above for Spring Configuration of
Hibernate?)
Tap 5 Acegi (simple like quickstart that has a login, error and post
login page, with an ASO for the user's details)
Tap 5 Ajax (quickstart using AJAX to selectively refresh the time / hi lo game)
etc

So the simple ones could just be spin offs of the current quickstart.

BTW
I am currently using Tapestry Hibernate and Derby (nothing complex
though) with no problems except the ones I've caused--like trying to
create table names that used a reserved keyword.  I'm also having
Tomcat handle the JNDI for it, although Hibernate could do it instead
IIRC.