tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Joost Schouten" <joost...@jsportal.com>
Subject RE: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 05:09:50 GMT
I should have replied on the first post as I was replying to give your
answer more weight not oppose it ;-)

Cheers,
Joost

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Andreou [mailto:andreoua@gmail.com] On Behalf Of andyhot
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:58 PM
To: Tapestry development
Subject: Re: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???

I think you're misunderstanding my intentions :)

Here are the facts the way i see them:
- Tapestry needs some js functions for its own use, hence tapestry.js
- I do NOT want to force users (not even myself) to go through
tapestry.js - they should be able to
use the library they want to
- I do NOT want to force users to have to load another library simply
because tapestry.js needs it

And here's where i'd be heading at:
- Plan js usage in such a way that alternatives to tapestry.js (such as
tapestry-yui.js or tapestry-jquery.js,
or even tapestry-donothing.js) are easy to write and even easier to include

For the record, i'm close to the tapestry-donothing.js step for T4.

Joost Schouten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see huge potential for build in AJAX with tapestry. Component reloading
is
> something which wasn't too hard to implement. But I would not like to be
> locked in, or have the framework of choice included even if I don't need
it
> (love your script loading feature btw).
>
> I am a big fan of making my own choices in this area. Martin Reurings
> recently posted about this in the user group:
> http://www.nabble.com/T5:-using-DOJO--t4368411.html#a12869068 I strongly
> agree and would love to see this kind of granularity. Making a tapestry.js
> as a wrapper for any framework seems more a confinement than an addition.
> I'd rather see a clean tapestry module without any client side scripting
and
> potentially one or more modules using the framework of choice.
>
> We already had to do some cutting to have Tapestry leave the scripting to
> us. I hope Tapestry won't make the same mistake a lot of JSF
implementations
> have made.
>
> Cheers,
> Joost
>

> We have just stripped T5 completely of all it's javascript as it was
causing

being

--
Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr