tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Jesse Kuhnert" <jkuhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:04:23 GMT
Yeah no I wouldn't go quite that far...

It seems like Tapestry could really have its own extremely tight/small
library for the very basic of dom manipulations / css selectors /
event handling that is independent of any particular library...I think
dean edwards has a nice version of this - you could probably just lift
whatever functions are needed from him:

http://code.google.com/p/base2/

When it comes time to plug in jquery / prototype / dojo / whatever
that'll be a different beast to tackle.   No idea how it should be
done but it does feel like you'd need to do something ejb3 persistence
-like where you have a standard set of annotations / behaviors that
can handle the very basic of things - which will probably be few since
each works so differently...

Then  - you can have specific annotations / mixins / etc for each
library.  (such as how hibernate still has hibernate specific things
you can do that don't fit in to the ejb3 persistence spec) The way
each library handles xhr and how you interact with results are all
slightly different and it would seem to break the idea of experiencing
the unique benefits of each one by trying to force one rigid coding
style on everyone...

Probably the only way to realistically get this right is provide
support for two different libraries right from the start so that no
naughty API parts are left out for too long that would need to be
fixed when you realize what has to happen with multiple libraries.

I'm not at all happy with how T4 handles a lot of this stuff currently
- so I wouldn't look at it ~too~ closely. ...T5 seems to offer the
promise of a much cleaner / intuitive API with all of the mixin /
annotation / etc goodness lurking around.

in the end though - jQuery has the most potential good to offer
(imho..for now) since John now works at mozilla and sort of gets
influenced by the javascript gods directly.

It's going to be a huge PITA to get right,  maybe a branch would help?
  My fingers are getting very itchy to work on T5 so maybe if Howard
starts to scratch out some of the initial stuff we can come in
afterwards and try to add in prototype support or something else like
that? dunno...

On 10/3/07, andyhot <andyhot@di.uoa.gr> wrote:
> That's the general idea -
> thought (imho) such bodies are usually slow to react on changes, new
> features, e.t.c.
>
> I remember talking about this with jesse a year ago... and it hasnt
> really taken off
>

> Markus Joschko wrote:
> > What about the openajax hub (http://www.openajax.org/OpenAjax%20Hub.html)?
> >
> > As this is some kind of minimal standard that should work with every library.
> > E.g. on a form submit the tapestry.js can simply submit an event that
> > gives the id of the form that should be submitted and every javascript
> > library that's interested in validating and sending the form can
> > listen to that event.
> >
> > Markus
> >

> > On 10/3/07, jblier <jacques.blier@airwidesolutions.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I still prefer Prototype although JQuery is improving at a quick pace.
> >>
> >> I don't like Dojo because it needs a lot of special tags.
> >>
> >> In any event, the developer should be able to use any JS library or
> >> framework he would like.
> >>
> >> Is is possible to have Tapestry.js modified to be a wrapper that would be
> >> compatible with a small list of JS libraries? So if a developer chooses a
> >> library from the list, Tapestry won't need to be rewritten.
> >> --

> Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
> Tapestry / Tacos developer
> Open Source / JEE Consulting