tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Prototype vs. JQuery vs. Dojo 0.9 vs. ???
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 01:22:53 GMT
I've been having some fun wrapping my brain around JQuery.

I'm not fully certain its a great fit however.

For hand-tooled web pages, maybe traditional JSPs, it would be perfectly
good.

But it's really built around identifying elements that need "special
attention" in terms of CSS class and page structure, and then applying
uniform effects and logic (in the form of even handlers) to them.

Tapestry is more geared towards the server side "seeding" the client side
with specific element ids, and then hooking up the appropriate event handler
that way.

In fact, that is more Protoype's angle, the whole point of $("myid") being
so easy.  JQuery lets you use Document.getElementById() ... it's one area
where the $() function has no great magic.

Can Tapestry shift?  Should it?  Would the newly revised Dojo be a better
fit?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Partner and Senior Architect at Feature50