tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Vjeran Marcinko" <vjeran.marci...@email.t-com.hr>
Subject Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:11:06 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard Lewis Ship" <hlship@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.jakarta.tapestry.devel
To: "Tapestry development" <dev@tapestry.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 6:12 PM
Subject: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?

> I think this could be a release candidate ... there's a few minor
> issues that could be addressed and a few more worrysome things (such
> as DateField not being localizable) that should go into GA but may
> have to wait for 5.1.

Just my non-binding comments regarding this localization stuff...
Been using Tapestry since version 3, and recently I have spent time trying
to migrate my first T4 app to T5, and although most of the new features have
been delightful, I have to say that this localization support has been a
major blocker for migration.
Not just DateField which is hardly usable in this non-localizable form, but
also this UTF-8 issue affecting all form values being improperly encoded,
and I mean not just forms with file upload (everything worked fine in T4 - I
guess T4 internaly called HttpServletRequest.setEncodingCharset("UTF-8")
before doing anything with request instance). UTF8FDilter has been on Wiki
for a while, but I strongly feel this should be present in the very
codebase.

Maybe other people feel otherwise, but I am kind of guy that first wants to
see all basic stuff doable as in previous versions of Tapestry, and then go
with some nice additions (like hibernate support, Ajax etc). I know that
this term "basic stuff" varies probably between people, so I'm not saying
that is easy to choose what will you spend time on considering how everybody
wants different stuff.

All in all, everything else seems really nice.

BTW, where are Erik Hatcher, MindBridge thesedays? ;)

Cheers,
Vjeran