tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Ben Dotte" <ben.do...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:11:15 GMT
Perhaps I am just naive to the way open source software is supposed to
be written, but it has always struck me as odd that particular areas
of the framework aren't divvied out to specific committers, or maybe
even groups of committers, to work on. I like to feel responsible for
a particular segment of a codebase, it encourages me to fix bugs in
that area and I feel like I have some level of control over the
general design of that area.

I'm not saying I in particular want to be assigned an area--a new baby
and my job keep me plenty busy these days :) Not much time for
Tapestry, unfortunately.

Something like that probably really needs to happen earlier in the
project though, when there is still enough of the core architecture
available to be designed.

Just my 2 cents.. I'm not trying to be critical of Tapestry, it is and
has been a wonderful framework. But I think it is something worth
discussing if you are wondering why people aren't as interested in
contributing as you would like.

"I hate to be a nag, but I haven't been seeing a lot of commit activity
from everyone else. That's very troublesome, and I'm concerned it
reflects on my management style of the project.  If you have any
criticism, feel free to respond here or privately to me.  I won't be
offended --- I already recognize that project management is by far my
weakest skill!"