tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anyone ready for 5.0.14?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:30:15 GMT
Its a problem for me.  If Tapestry were a project at Formos, not at
Apache, I would have a team, we would agree on dates and deliverables,
etc.  People would be responsible for what they are assigned, or take
on.

What pains me is that many people have ideas about what needs to be
done, sometimes very vocal ideas, but that's as far as it goes.

The structure of the code (components and IoC services) should make it
reasonable for people to "set up shop" in a specific area, as you
describe.  It just isn't happening.

For every trivial bug that I end up fixing, it's one less critical bug
I can take on.  And when, like now, I'm client focused (preparing for
several days of training), not much is going to happen.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Ben Dotte <ben.dotte@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps I am just naive to the way open source software is supposed to
> be written, but it has always struck me as odd that particular areas
> of the framework aren't divvied out to specific committers, or maybe
> even groups of committers, to work on. I like to feel responsible for
> a particular segment of a codebase, it encourages me to fix bugs in
> that area and I feel like I have some level of control over the
> general design of that area.
>
> I'm not saying I in particular want to be assigned an area--a new baby
> and my job keep me plenty busy these days :) Not much time for
> Tapestry, unfortunately.
>
> Something like that probably really needs to happen earlier in the
> project though, when there is still enough of the core architecture
> available to be designed.
>
> Just my 2 cents.. I'm not trying to be critical of Tapestry, it is and
> has been a wonderful framework. But I think it is something worth
> discussing if you are wondering why people aren't as interested in
> contributing as you would like.
>
> "I hate to be a nag, but I haven't been seeing a lot of commit activity
> from everyone else. That's very troublesome, and I'm concerned it
> reflects on my management style of the project.  If you have any
> criticism, feel free to respond here or privately to me.  I won't be
> offended --- I already recognize that project management is by far my
> weakest skill!"

Howard M. Lewis Ship