tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <christianedwardgru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:36:09 GMT
Hibernate was a very strong, possibly the strongest inspiration for
JPA, but Toplink as an approach is older, and people who were brought
up with Toplink/WebObjects/EOF/etc. tend to use Entity Manager
equivalents as a single central meta-dao (in my experience) rather
than the norm in the Hibernate world which has individual DAOs for
each type or for business processes.  That pattern of use causes some
problems if you try to use Hibernate that way without fixing issues of
session scope and re-attachment to the session in a web app.

This is now really heavily off-topic, but I didn't want to leave my
statement over-argued.  Mostly I wanted to just clarify that Toplink
wasn't built to satisfy the JPA, but is far far older.

Christian.

On 20-Feb-09, at 07:20 , Ulrich Stärk wrote:

> It is (at least that's what Gavin King and Christian Bauer say in
> their
> book).
>
> "Developers from the Hibernate team joined the expert group early on
> and helped shape the new specification. Other vendors, including all
> major and many smaller companies in the Java industry, also
> contributed to the effort. An important decision made for the new
> standard was to specify and standardize things that work in
> practice, taking ideas and concepts from existing successful
> products and projects. Hibernate, therefore, being a successful data
> persistence solution, played an important role for the persistence
> part of the new standard."
>
> Uli
>
> Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo schrieb:
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Christian Edward Gruber <christianedwardgruber@gmail.com

>> > wrote:
>>> of the Core Data stuff.  Toplink is a lot of things, but isn't a
>>> project made to provide JPA integration.  It's partly the other way
>>> around.
>> I always thought that JPA was inspired by Hibernate. They really look
>> very similar. EntityManager is almost a copy of Hibernate's session.

Christian Edward Gruber
e-mail: christianedwardgruber@gmail.com
weblog: http://www.geekinasuit.com/