tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SUCCESS] Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo as Tapestry Committer
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 20:23:38 GMT
Em Thu, 19 Feb 2009 17:13:30 -0300, Marcelo Lotif <mlotifjava@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> No, I don't. I suppose it's lighter because to integrate toplink+JPA you
> only have to download 2 jars, something like 5mb.When I tried to switch
> to hibernate+JPA, I have to download a LOT more dependencies than
> toplink,

I thought you were talking of "lightweight" like they say Spring is
lighter than EJB 2.x. :)
Hibernate has more features than JPA, so it should have more code.
Regarding number of dependencies, Maven takes care of that to me. :)

> plus the dificulty of the process itself and the lack of documentation.

What process? Lack of documentation? Hibernate has one of the best
documentations I've seen in open-source projects. And it does almost
everything JPA does, using the same annotations and defaults, so I guess a
JPA -> Hibernate transition should be easy. AFAIK, besides the JPA
listeners, Hibernate is a proper superser of JPA.

> seraching a little, I read somewere that toplink was a project made to
> provide an easy JPA implementation, so that is the reason.

Being JPA a standard, I guess all implementations should be as easy to
easy as each other . . . at least in theory. :)

> To add some more advantage to toplink, I found a pretty useful
> "annotation reference" guide that's better than anything I ever found
> into hibernate
> documentation on the internet.

That's exactly the reference I use and the one I recommend to everyone. ;)

> Since hibernate annotations are pretty much
> the same as toplink/JPA,
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/ias/toplink/jpa/resources/toplink-jpa-annotations.html

Hibernate uses all the JPA annotations exactly like JPA does. In fact,
Hibernate's own annotations are just used to deal with features Hibernate
has and JPA doesn't (@CollectionOfElements, @BatchSize, etc). No Hibernate
annotation overlaps JPA's ones (besides cascading options).

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago