tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Andreou <andy...@di.uoa.gr>
Subject Re: Tapestry on GitHub
Date Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:50:14 GMT
btw, is there any part of T5 that uses keyword substitution such as $Rev$ ?

I just came across a gotcha in T4's dojo which uses that keyword in one of
the source files and parses the (numeric) substituted value in order
to know (and report)
its internal version... but it turns out git doesn't use those keywords (and
even if it did, it wouldn't be a numeric value) so, building and using
the tapestry
jar from a git checked-out folder will amazingly throw js errors!

Anyway, i'm not sure i can explain it, but i actually enjoyed that this
'problem' exists.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Kevin Menard <nirvdrum@gmail.com> wrote:
> I took the matter of git up as an officially supported SCM on the
> infra-dev list.  It looks like  the thread is going to die with no
> reasonable resolution.  I've been trying to address the issue both
> from a technical and productivity standpoint.  If you have any
> feelings on the matter, please feel free to join in.
>
> --
> Kevin
>

> On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hlship@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So here's a question ... what's preventing us from moving the Tapestry
>> code base to GitHub?
>>
>> I've been using Git and GitHub increasingly for the last several
>> months; I'm running client projects off of a private repo at GitHub.
>> My whole approach has shifted around Git's capabilities, including
>> tiny commits, even partial file commits (love those!).
>>
>> I love being able to work very quickly, to switch branches almost
>> instantly, to have full history at all times (even when I'm
>> traveling). Given the sorry state of languages and IDEs, it's the one
>> tool that actually work right.
>>
>> I believe it is reasonable to transfer our Tapestry 5 code base,
>> complete with history (*), up to GitHub.
>>
>> It's likely the Apache Board will object ... but if necessary, we can
>> have a Git-to-SVN feed that will keep the SVN repository at Apache up
>> to date, even as real work continues using Git.
>>
>> To those who haven't used Git:  remember going from, say, SourceSafe
>> to CVS or CVS to Subversion?  Subversion to Git is an even better leap
>> forward!
>>
>> (*) My choice for structure under tags, the extra releases folder, may
>> cause some grief.
>>
>> --
>> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>>
>> Creator of Apache Tapestry