tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry on GitHub
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:15:35 GMT
I'm a fan of moving to git.  I've gotten so accustomed to a git
workflow now that using SVN feels like a major step back.  In the
meanwhile, I've been using git-svn against svn.eu.apache.org.
Unfortunately, that approach is just way too frustrating because of
the EU mirror sync lag time with the official SVN site.

While GitHub is clearly the front runner in git hosting, they've been
having a lot of problems lately.  Their recent move to Rackspace seems
to be helping, but right now the ongoing joke is that things just fail
faster than before.  I have no doubt they'll rectify their problems,
but it can be annoying.

It'd be nice if we could adopt git in a manner that would appease the
ASF.  Perhaps running our own repository on people.a.o or one of the
other servers?  The committers all have SSH accounts already and
Tapestry should have its own unix group.  Sharing that could for a
wider population would probably be a bit more work.  I think infra-dev
was playing around with a customized gitweb.

The other matter that would need to be addressed is the issue of
openness.  Local branches would need to be pushed on a frequent basis
so other developers can work on those branches.  This is the thing
that excites me most though.  While branching in SVN is better than it
is in CVS, it's still too much work and as a result, I find most ASF
projects do all active development against trunk.  A branch per JIRA
issue should lead to a much cleaner codebase.

--
Kevin