tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry on GitHub
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:46:10 GMT
Hi Piero,

Please see comments in-line.

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 5:55 AM, Piero Sartini <lists@pierosartini.de> wrote:
>> So here's a question ... what's preventing us from moving the Tapestry
>> code base to GitHub?
>
> Did you take a look at Mercurial? Personally I would prefer it over git, but
> that's a matter of taste. I am no committer or contributor so my preference is
> not really important for tapestry development.

There has already been a small push on the infra-dev list for a move
to git and the ASF has a large number of projects being synched with a
mirror at GitHub [1].  So, from a purely political standpoint,
sticking with git would be the way to go.

Scott Chacon wrote a git plugin for mercurial [2] that would let you
interact with a git repository from within mercurial, too.  So, using
git as the canonical representation should make the most sense for
both git and mercurial fans alike.

> One point against git may be bad windows compatibility - but I am not sure if
> this is still true.

I don't think this is the case any longer.  I'm pretty sure there's a
Windows client that doesn't require cygwin.  Additionally, there has
been a lot of progress on a TortoiseGit [3].

[1] - http://github.com/apache
[2] - http://hg-git.github.com/
[3] - http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

--