tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Menard <nirvd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tapestry on GitHub
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2009 01:15:56 GMT
Hi Olivier,

While your concerns are well-founded, I don't think there's much to
worry about.  The git tooling isn't up to speed as SVN, but SVN wasn't
up to speed with CVS at one point, either.  The 1.0 release in
software is such a trite concept now that it's downright frustrating
people don't just call their first release 1.0.

The git plugins for both Eclipse and IntelliJ IDEA seem to work
reasonably enough, but what I've found is that with git I use the
command-line way more than I ever did with SVN.  Part of that is
because git commands work with partial paths.  So, I can do something
like "git commit src/main/" to commit all the changes rooted at that
subpath.  In SVN, you would need the full path to the file, so GUI
support makes a lot more sense.

I find where the lack of tooling support is more problematic is with
CI software, linking changesets to JIRA, and so forth.  Those cons
would have to be weighed against the pros.

--
Kevin