tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Tapestry on GitHub
Date Sun, 04 Oct 2009 00:41:56 GMT
So here's a question ... what's preventing us from moving the Tapestry
code base to GitHub?

I've been using Git and GitHub increasingly for the last several
months; I'm running client projects off of a private repo at GitHub.
My whole approach has shifted around Git's capabilities, including
tiny commits, even partial file commits (love those!).

I love being able to work very quickly, to switch branches almost
instantly, to have full history at all times (even when I'm
traveling). Given the sorry state of languages and IDEs, it's the one
tool that actually work right.

I believe it is reasonable to transfer our Tapestry 5 code base,
complete with history (*), up to GitHub.

It's likely the Apache Board will object ... but if necessary, we can
have a Git-to-SVN feed that will keep the SVN repository at Apache up
to date, even as real work continues using Git.

To those who haven't used Git:  remember going from, say, SourceSafe
to CVS or CVS to Subversion?  Subversion to Git is an even better leap
forward!

(*) My choice for structure under tags, the extra releases folder, may
cause some grief.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry