tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of Git at Apache
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 19:39:21 GMT
On Mon November 30 2009 4:50:15 pm Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> The reality is that regardless of whether code comes in as patches in
> JIRA or as Git pull requests on GitHub, there is still a committer
> making the change and committing it to the "master" repository. Using
> Git instead of SVN does not affect the underlying process, especially
> as it concerns CLA.

I think you've kind of missed the issues that Jukka was describing.

As I see it, there are two main issues:

1) As you mentioned, we can easily ensure that only committers (that have
CLA's on file) can push to the master, git doesn't record WHICH committer that
was.   It records the original author of the work.  (where the committer
originally pulled the changes from)  Thus, we'd have no way to track that
commit back to a PARTICULAR CLA.

2) We have no (standard) way to make sure that the original author of the work
(if they don't have a CLA on file) has given the OK to have the work included
in the Apache work.   With JIRA, we have the "grant to Apache" checkbox for
the patch.   Thus, if the commit message contains the JIRA ID (big if, wish
this was somehow more automatic), we can easily trace the commit back to both
the committer AND the original author and check the legal bits for both.  If a
problem pops up, we have two names to contact immediately.

What's interesting is that the problem with git is the exact opposite of svn,
but I really think it's really still a problem for svn.  With svn, unless the
committer puts something (like a jira ID) in the commit comment, we have a
committer ID, but not an author ID.    With git, unless the "signed off by"
thing is used, we have a author id, but not a committer id.    The "svn"
problem is more tolerable as the committer SHOULD at least have some idea
where the code came from.   It's more in our control.

That said, we could probably put some hooks into the git repo that would do
some type of verification like:
1) if the author id is a committer id, OK it.

2) if the author id is NOT a committer id, require the "signed off by" thing
to be set and/or a JIRA ID (that would assumably have a patch attached with
the grant checkbox checked).

That would require someone to write the hooks, do thorough testing, etc...
That's not on infrastructures todo list at all.

Anyway, that all said, I'd LOVE to be able to use a central git repo instead
of svn as well.   svn is painfully slow when your used to git.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org