tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Massimo Lusetti <mluse...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ComponentMessagesSource to become public API
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 16:52:12 GMT
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Igor Drobiazko <igor.drobiazko@gmail.com> wrote:

> I accompiished this by a service named ComponentMessagesOverride. The mapped
> configuration of the service is used to contribute new paths for component
> message catalogs. This service is used in an advise method to override the
> result of ComponentMessagesSource#getMessages. This temporary hack is ok for
> an application but what is the benefit to do it in tapestry-core? We can
> change the implementation of ComponentMessagesSource directly.

While here I would like to pose to your attention a use case where i
found myself repeatedly.

It happens that I produce a "common" components (like a series of
Submit components acting togheter) where i want the pages that use it
to provide the "messages" for labels. So this could be accomplish by
extending the inheritance of the message catalog from components to
pages that include the components (or other components as well) to
application wide catalog.

So for instance a components could provide defaults labels but pages
are given the opportunity to override it while leave the "application
wide" message catalog to have the last word on it.

Does it sounds reasonable?

Cheers
--
Massimo