tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status of Git at Apache
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:23:52 GMT
On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Daniel Kulp <dkulp@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon November 30 2009 4:50:15 pm Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
>> The reality is that regardless of whether code comes in as patches in
>> JIRA or as Git pull requests on GitHub, there is still a committer
>> making the change and committing it to the "master" repository. Using
>> Git instead of SVN does not affect the underlying process, especially
>> as it concerns CLA.
>
> I think you've kind of missed the issues that Jukka was describing.
>
> As I see it, there are two main issues:
>
> 1) As you mentioned, we can easily ensure that only committers (that have
> CLA's on file) can push to the master, git doesn't record WHICH committer that
> was.   It records the original author of the work.  (where the committer
> originally pulled the changes from)  Thus, we'd have no way to track that
> commit back to a PARTICULAR CLA.
>
> 2) We have no (standard) way to make sure that the original author of the work
> (if they don't have a CLA on file) has given the OK to have the work included
> in the Apache work.   With JIRA, we have the "grant to Apache" checkbox for
> the patch.   Thus, if the commit message contains the JIRA ID (big if, wish
> this was somehow more automatic), we can easily trace the commit back to both
> the committer AND the original author and check the legal bits for both.  If a
> problem pops up, we have two names to contact immediately.
>

> What's interesting is that the problem with git is the exact opposite of svn,
> but I really think it's really still a problem for svn.  With svn, unless the
> committer puts something (like a jira ID) in the commit comment, we have a
> committer ID, but not an author ID.    With git, unless the "signed off by"
> thing is used, we have a author id, but not a committer id.    The "svn"
> problem is more tolerable as the committer SHOULD at least have some idea
> where the code came from.   It's more in our control.
>
> That said, we could probably put some hooks into the git repo that would do
> some type of verification like:
> 1) if the author id is a committer id, OK it.
>
> 2) if the author id is NOT a committer id, require the "signed off by" thing
> to be set and/or a JIRA ID (that would assumably have a patch attached with
> the grant checkbox checked).

I'm pretty sure that when using the sign off option, both you (the
committer) and the contributor (the author) are identified.

> That would require someone to write the hooks, do thorough testing, etc...
> That's not on infrastructures todo list at all.
>

> Anyway, that all said, I'd LOVE to be able to use a central git repo instead
> of svn as well.   svn is painfully slow when your used to git.
>
> Dan

So what I'm hearing is that as long as external code is delivered via
a JIRA patch, and the JIRA issue is referenced in the commit, then
there's no difference between Git and SVN from a legal stand point.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210