tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Christophe Cordenier <christophe.corden...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: documentation improvements
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 15:48:20 GMT
Hi,

2010/3/1 Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de>

> Of course it would be nice to show people that we eat our own dog food. We
> would need to set up the whole infrastructure (servlet container, database,
> backup, etc.) ourselves though. Don't underestimate the effort for that.

You're right, it requires a lot of efforts to have a secure installation.

> I still prefer the wiki approach though:
>
> - it is well supported at the ASF (backups, updates, etc.)
> - changes are published to our website automatically

- nice interface with rich text editor instead of cryptic XML
> - we can include the generated content in our releases

For the last two points Wooki's approach is to provided easy writing but
also 'clean' writing for import/export purpose. This is why we have chosen
wymeditor as document editor. Also, we have in mind to provide a REST API to
interoperate with other systems (at least get and put)

BTW my experience of wiki is that when the documentation becomes large, it's
hard to find valuable information and there is a lack of interaction with
readers. IMHO The tool that will be chosen for Tapestry documentation must
have a powerful search engine, a clear and easy way to access and navigate
through the documentation + social features in which i really believe to
make the documentation 'alive'

--
Regards,
Christophe Cordenier.