tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance Testing Lab
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:30:49 GMT
One of my long term and unrealized goals for Tapestry is to have a
legitimate performance testing lab.

I'd like the ability to run a "standard" application through its
paces, collect statistics, and see how well each new Tapestry release
compares to its predecessor in terms of general performance: response
time, memory utilization, saturation and recovery.  Ideally, it would
be nice to create equivalent JSP/Spring MVC/Struts/Wicket
implementations of the same app.

I'm really concerned with ensuring that 5.2 out-performs 5.1, and uses
less memory.  The singleton pages approach should lower the memory
utilization ... but I'm concerned that the new AOP stuff inside
ClassTransformation (which has a tendency to create lots of little
one-off classes) will overshadow the other improvements.

So ... how do we go from thinking about this to doing it?  I have a
spare desktop I could use for this purpose (I'm going to wipe out
windows and install Ubuntu). It's dated hardware but otherwise
probably ok.  Does any of the committers, or Tapestry community, have
some specific skills, or better ideas?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry