tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Andreou <andy...@di.uoa.gr>
Subject Re: Java 6 + generics support cause PermGen OOM in core tests.
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2010 18:24:28 GMT
we got some almost a year ago - i guess they'll soon expire so you
could reask on behalf of everyone

wrt hudson and test failures, any links that show them?

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 19:20, Josh Canfield <joshcanfield@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have we asked YourKit for a license for tapestry devs?
>
> http://www.yourkit.com/purchase/index.jsp
>
> "The license is granted to developers of non-commercial Open Source
> projects, with an established and active community. The license is
> free. However, we ask you to add a reference to YourKit website on the
> web pages of your Open Source project."
>
> Josh
>
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Josh Canfield <joshcanfield@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I grabbed a copy of trunk and was not able to reproduce the OOM.
>> This is on my OSX 10.6 box using 64 bit Java 6.
>> I haven't set up yourkit yet, but I believe what is happening is that I'm causing
the memory usage for a bunch of the classes to get bigger by calling the generics reflection
methods. The sun jvm lazy loads the generic objects the first time you request them by parsing
the signature of the class/method/constrictor.

>> To fully support generics I end up calling one of the generics methods on every page,
service and interface used by a page or interface. There is probably some optimization that
can be done on my end, but I think it'd be thin.

>> I believe the problem is partially the 64 bit jvm which uses more memory to store
references (http://wikis.sun.com/display/HotSpotInternals/CompressedOops) but I haven't played
with the jvm settings to see if it helps.

>> I ran the tests successfully with a 32 bit java 5 (and discovered  a couple java
6 dependencies in my stuff)

>> So, what does Hudson run the tests in?
>> Should we consider adding jvm memory stuff to the docs?
>> Currently the tests all run under the same jvm instance. I believe this may end up
accumulating copies of classes in permgen since multiple registries/apps are fired up. Should
the tests fork a new

>> -- Josh

> http://www.bodylabgym.com - a private, by appointment only, one-on-one
> health and fitness facility.
> --
> http://www.ectransition.com - Quality Electronic Cigarettes at a
> reasonable price!
> --
> TheDailyTube.com. Sign up and get the best new videos on the internet
> delivered fresh to your inbox.

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://blog.andyhot.gr
Tapestry PMC / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting