tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Jung <markus.jun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GSoC - CSRF Protection
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:44:22 GMT
Thanks for your input.

Regarding the javascript in my proposed concept, for protection of input
actions that are rendered through a HTML form a hidden input is the best
solution to protect the action behind against CSRF. Javascript is not
necessary in that case.

The solution in the wiki by Martijn Brinkers has some drawbacks as stated in
the end of article, that can be avoided if a hidden input is used, but the
solution works also for action links that issue a HTTP GET request.

What is not clear for me is that this solution works for all form and bean
based components. This solution seems only to work for actionLink, right -
or am I missing something?

I'm currently digging into the details of Tapestry and different protection
mechanisms against CSRF.  As far the most reasonable solution for me is like
Andreas Andreou suggested to provide a component mixin, that could be added
to all components that are rendered as a HTML form, e.g. Form Components and
Bean related components. In the template an additional element has to be
explicetely added, that holds the secure token and is rendered as HTML
hidden input field.

This solution could maybe extended to provide a more general usage pattern,
e.g. a site configuration parameter that enables CSRF protection for all
form based components without further coding required, or a page scope
enabling of this mechanism maybe useful.

In a further step it might be useful to protect HTML anchor rendered
components also.

I will prepare a project proposal with a rough timeline. Who would like to
mentor this project - is it Ulrich Stärk? I would like to double check the
project proposal with the mentor before I submit it.

Best Regards,
Markus