tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spock for Tapestry
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 16:36:20 GMT
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
> IMO we are making the build and test process even more complex than it is today: We have
Gradle and
> Maven builds, we have tests written in Groovy and tests written in Java and now we want
to have
> both, tests using Spock and tests using TestNG. At one point we will loose track of what's
happening
> where. KISS!

I hope to retire the Maven build soon.  In terms of KISS, Gradle wins
hands down.

TestNG already has the ability to run JUnit tests within a TestNG
suite; it doesn't work with Spock yet, but that's coming.

Groovy for testing is also much, much simpler than equivalent Java code.

> So -1 from me unless there is something that we desperately need and that can only be
done with
> Spock and not with TestNG.

If Spock and TestNG can run easily side-by-side that's great. I'm not
suggesting that we convert existing tests to Spock, but I'd prefer to
write new tests in Spock. So far, that's broken down along sub-project
lines (plastic uses Spock), but eventually there's no reason why tests
couldn't be written in whatever's handy, as long as we know that the
run and we can generate a test report.

> Uli
>
> On 14.04.2011 00:33, Igor Drobiazko wrote:
>> Today I attended Peter Niederwieser's talk on Spock. Spock is just great and
>> beats all the existing Java-based testing frameworks easily.
>>
>> Since Spock is already used in plastic, I would like to propose to use in in
>> other tapestry module a well. Since it is impossible to migrate the existing
>> tests to Spock, we could write new tests with Spock. The only issue I see is
>> that Spock is run by JUnit while Tapestry's tests are based on TestNG. We
>> would need to come up with two test runs: one for TestNG, the other for
>> JUnit. We also would need to merge the cobertura coverage.
>>
>> Any ideas?

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210