tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use dataurl for image assets?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 17:32:22 GMT
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<thiagohp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 09:55:19 -0300, Massimo Lusetti <mlusetti@gmail.com>
>>  what would you think about using dataurl:
>> http://caniuse.com/#search=dataurl for image assets
> Why? Wouldn't them end up causing more data to be transferred (base-64 takes
> more bytes than binary and data URLs are not cached)?

Yes, it consumes more bytes but in return you get one less http
request. There's quite a bit of overhead in handling each request, so
there's a size threshold after which it makes more sense to push the
bits embedded in a single request even if as a separate request it'd
be cached. See for example how Google implements displaying its site
preview images.

Massimo, it'd be great if there was a configurable setting that lets
you to automatically embed image assets smaller than certain size.
I've thought about using dataurls for attached images with
tapestry-editablecontent
(http://tynamo.org/tapestry-editablecontent+guide).

Kalle