tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: activation context in Tapestry
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 18:05:33 GMT
To be clear; if there isn't a specific ValueEncoder for your object
type, then Tapestry will use a pair of TypeCoercers (your object type
-> String, and String -> your object type).  ValueEncoder (which
should really be named ValueTranscoder) is a single object that
handles both directions, and is expressly oriented for encoding data
into a client-side String (whether that string will be stored into the
URL, a hidden form field, or a cookie).

Beware of relying on Serializable; that's really intended for
prototyping only, as serializing even a simple object can result in a
huge string, and often unintentionally drags in a large object graph.
Generally speaking, when we see complaints about Tapestry rendering
slowly (either on the server or on the client), it's because they've
stumbled over this.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 6:05 AM, Lance Java <lance.java@googlemail.com> wrote:
> You will need to imlpement a ValueEncoder and contribute it to the
> ValueEncoderSource.
>
> http://tapestry.apache.org/tapestry5/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/ValueEncoder.html
> http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/services/ValueEncoderSource.html

Howard M. Lewis Ship