tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Kalle Korhonen <kalle.o.korho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: @Override on interface methods
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 18:39:43 GMT
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:24 AM, Ulrich Stärk <uli@spielviel.de> wrote:
> On 27.06.2012 23:37, Kalle Korhonen wrote:
>>> Really? Switch JDK versions because of @Override? I stated my concerns about
ditching JDK 1.5
>>> support without need before. I just would not do it if we don't gain any significant
benefit.
>> Of course we don't do it just because of this single reason. There are
>> many small reasons for updating to JDK 1.6 and a few strong concerns
>> for not doing so. You can always refute any single lesser reason as
>> not important enough.
> What are these numerous small reasons? The only ones that I have heard in our past discussions
were
> JDK5 EOL (which doesn't matter since we are really talking about Java 5 bytecode compatibility
here)
> and @Override on interface implementations. Please show me that list of small reasons
that when
> taken as a whole outweigh the concern of loosing or hindering users when switching to
a newer
> bytecode version.

- @Override on interface methods
- jmx api enhancements
- all the new jdk 1.6 language features
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/features-141434.html -
personally I really like and have multiple times used the new
collection classes)
- tapestry-hibernate to use Hibernate 4.1.x

We all understand the concern of loosing users by switching to a newer
bytecode version, but I just think it has to be really, really small
subset of users. Can you list any users or companies that are
currently using 5.4 snapshots or would seriously consider switching to
5.4, or worse yet, would abandon the whole T5 platform because they
are currently using java 1.5 and would never consider upgrading their
jre? I'm sure there are more existing users using T5.0, T5.1 or even
T5.2 running on JRE 1.5 and that's fine, if they or those apps are in
maintenance mode, I seriously doubt they'll ever upgrade even to a new
T5 version.

Kalle