tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Lewis Ship <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Steps to upgrade from Tapestry 3 to Tapestry 5
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 18:25:53 GMT
I would suggest creating a simple application in T5 first, to get the
feel for setting up web.xml and getting all the libraries straightened
out.

Once you've done that, you can use the injected Request object to read
and write session attributes, or use the @SessionAttribute annotation
on a field (on the T5 side).

On the T3 side, you'll need to do a bit more work to get the
HttpServletRequest, to read and write session attributes.  I believe
you should look at the IEngine interface as a starting point, but my
memory of all that is pretty weak.

Basically, the HttpSession becomes a kind of "mailbox" that the T5 and
the other app can use to  communicate  and share state.  It doesn't
matter if the other app is T3 or Struts or pure servlets.

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:59 PM, Shanmuka Maridi
<Shanmuka.Maridi@symphonysv.com> wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> I have checked the below link provided by you. Please let me know how we can create the
service where I can get the T3 Information.
> My requirement is something like this, my total application is in T3 as of now. I want
to develop one new page with T5.  And also is there any changes in web.xml also?

> Thanks & Regards
> Shanmuka Babu

convert your T3 pages & components to T5, meanwhile, run the side-by-side.

>> Since T3 runs as a servlet and T5 as a servlet filter, they play together nicely.
You have to do a little work to make them talk to each other (in terms of user/session data),
but it's definitely possible.

>>> http://tapestry.1045711.n5.nabble.com/Convert-Tapestry-4-to-Tapestry-
>>> 5
>>> -td5444014.html
>>>
>>> You might be able to write new code in Tapestry 5 and run it in the
>>> same container as Tapestry 4, not sure if that suits you.

ONLY THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THE TRANSMISSION, MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION, AND
IS PROTECTED BY LAW. IF YOU RECEIVED THIS E-MAIL IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER
OF THE ERROR BY RETURN E-MAIL, DELETE THIS COMMUNICATION AND SHRED ANY ATTACHMENTS. UNAUTHORIZED
REVIEW, USE, DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, COPYING OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION BASED ON THIS COMMUNICATION
IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210