tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Speed up page compiling
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:18:07 GMT
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 06:24:19 -0200, Michael Wyraz
<michael.wyraz@evermind.de> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I had a closer look to the problem (reported by some of our developers):
> There are a few really big pages. Formerly these where separate pages
> but since we changed everything to ajax navigation, these pages are
> consolidated to one page.

Howard is way more suited for saying that than me, but I really think
you've just described the source of your problem: you have a very huge
page that contains your whole application. It's not just an
über-component, which is a Tapestry anti-pattern, it's an über-page, which
is an anti-pattern too. When you change something, you end up making
Tapestry reload not just one page, but the whole application, as the
application is inside one page.

There's absolutely no need to consolidate all pages into one for what
you're doing. Just put different stuff wrapped in blocks, put these blocks
in different pages, use ComponentSource to get a page instance, getBlock()
to get the block, the Delegate component or event handler return value to
render the block, Environment to pass information to the blocks. This
isn't the only solution (maybe you could @InjectPage the pages, set
properties on them and use getBody() or getBlock() instead of
ComponentSource and Environment, but I haven't tested that_, but it's
basically what the BeanModel-based components (Grid, BeanEditor,
BeanEditForm, BeanDisplay) do.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo