tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Barry Books <trs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: jQuery 2.x or stick with 1.x?
Date Mon, 27 May 2013 11:21:56 GMT
>From the jQuery 2.0 release notes:

As promised, this version leaves behind the older Internet Explorer 6, 7,
> and 8 browsers. In return it is smaller, faster, and can be used in
> JavaScript environments where the code needed for old-IE compatibility
> often causes problems of its own. *But don’t worry, the jQuery team still
> supports the 1.x branch which does run on IE 6/7/8.* You can (and should)
> continue to use jQuery 1.9 (and the upcoming 1.10) on web sites that need
> to accommodate older browsers.

I use Tapestry to build sites for business/government that are still using
Windows XP and are therefore stuck on IE8. Bootstrap 3.X appears it will
support IE8. I can see why people would rather drop older IE support but at
this point I don't think it's practical if you want your product to be used
in a business/government environment.

So I would say if it's easy to pick (or Dmitry's suggestion) I'm OK with
that but if it you are talking about dropping IE8 support I would have to
say a *BIG* -1.

Barry