tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Barry Books <trs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for a list of modules recommended by the Tapestry team
Date Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:29:14 GMT
Here are my thoughts on what a GitHub list would be and how it wold work.

GitHub has a feature called gh-pages. If you have a branch called gh-pages
GitHub will build a website from markdown files. Markdown is a simple
markup language. The idea is any one that wants to add their module creates
ticket asking to be a contributor then creates a documentation page and a
repository link. This would provide a list of 3rd party modules with the
data being maintained by the owner of the  module.

There are no requirements to host your project on Github and in fact there
is a browser interface for doing this so you would not even need git to
participate. Github also allows an organization to own a repository so it's
possible to delegate the responsibilities and owners can come and go.

I also see benefit in having a Tapestry based site like ComponentWorld and
I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. In fact I believe the Github
list could be the backend data store for a site like ComponentWorld because
there is be a description of the module in markdown and there is plenty of
information in a POM file. I also hope other applications would find this
data useful and I'm thinking about how I could use it if I write a
distributed documentation module.

Barry