tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Stärk <...@spielviel.de>
Subject Re: time to switch to Selenium 2?
Date Mon, 04 Nov 2013 21:50:46 GMT
Geb won't help much in your case. The biggest 'problem' is that Tapestry now uses a lot of
different
technologies: Code in Java, tests in Java and Groovy, a lexer in antlr, JavaScript generated
from
CoffeeScript, etc. The build is extremely complex due to the mixture of different technologies
and
accordingly fragile.

Uli

On 2013-11-04 22:37, Luca Menegus wrote:
> May I disagree?
>  I'am trying to contribute a (trivial) patch related to Beandisplay and reported in user
mailing list.
> The most difficult task was not spotting the bug but:
>
> 1. setting up tapestry in eclipse
> that was *not* easy took more than half an hour (not counting download time).
> The doc is basically right. That is if you follow it you get the compile env setup correctly.
> But why should I mess with eclipse classpath in 2013? or change the source version (1.5
to 1.6)? I think that we have the tool to make at least major dev env set up correctly out
of the box.
> IMHO this is the first obstacle to the casual contributor. I was *really* tempted to
just fork tapestry locally and simply report the issue.

> 2. running test in dev environment
> If you develop a patch and are willing to provide an integration test case you should
be able to run a subset of the integration test cases out of the box.
> I use maven and junit so I'm not confident with gradle, gradle eclipse plugin, testng
and eclipse testng plugin.
> I *really* think this is mainly a doc issue but still I took me 10 times more to run
the integration test than to write them.
> Ok development is hard and I should do my homework etc etc (and I did them I think) but
having guides, examples, how-tos on testing will make it easier for people to contribute decent
patches

> 3. running the whole test suite from gradle
> I use Centos 6.4 as my desktop env so this might not apply to other environments but
my experience is that if you wanted the whole tests to run smoothly you should really go away
and have a coffee.
> Even changing focus to any other window make some random test fail (note that I browse
with chrome and run tests with firefox).
> I also read that you need to have an old copy of firefox to run the test suite as it
won't run on newer versions... I can confirm that: I have a separate fully updated f19 system
where the tests simply fail.

> I want to stress this out: *I think tapestry is super*! Really! We're using tapestry
extensively, and it's fast, reliable and easily customizable. If you have some dev experienced
with inner t5-lore you can have junior devs writing pages in hours...

> what I wanted to say is that having a:
> - easier dev-env set up
> - more immediate way to run test from dev env
> - more robust ci test env
> would be a great pay-off.
>
> So if a move to WebDriver (and geb) would go in such direction please go haed! I can't
assure you that I'm going to contribute something back but at least I'll try (really)