tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 5.5 anyone?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 12:31:47 GMT
On Tue, 26 Jan 2016 06:29:58 -0200, Jochen Kemnade
<jochen.kemnade@eddyson.de> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi!

> I expected that someone would bring up this point. I know how hard it is
> to get a large company to use up-to-date software.
> However, I don't think that this should stop us from requiring Java 8.
> First of all, you can use a separate JRE/JDK to run your Tapestry
> application, you just need to set your JAVA_HOME accordingly, and
> second, if we switch to Java 8, that doen't mean that we force anyone to
> use Java 8 features, it should still compile and run Java 5 code fine.

But, in order to have Tapestry using Java 8 in its sources and compile to
Java 6 or 7 we will be able to use most of the new syntax, but none of the
Java 8-introduced classes and interfaces like streams. I'm not sure how
much we can use Java 8 in Tapestry keeping it runnable under Java 7. Of
course, this is someone we should research.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br