tapestry-dev mailing list archives

From "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <thiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade Tapestry build to Java 11
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 18:47:29 GMT
On Sat, Jun 22, 2019 at 6:56 PM Dmitry Gusev <dmitry.gusev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!

Hello, everyone!

> I tried to upgrade the build to Java 11 before I found discussion in
> TAP5-2588, and I even upgraded most of it while experimenting and got all
> the tests green, except tapestry-javadoc module, which at first glance
> requires code rewrite and not just library upgrades and minor fixes as it
> was with core modules.

Indeed, before we build Tapestry with Java 11, we'll need to rewrite at
least tapestry-javadoc, but I guess that's mostly it. If we want to provide
proper Java 9 modules too, we'll need to move some classes between
packages, since each package can only be in one module, and now we have
some packages with classes in more than one subproject/artifact/JAR. Far
from trivial.

> So I would suggest to go straight to Java 11 after we release current state
> of master (5.5.x).

Agreed.

What about Java 12? It was released last March. I haven't checked what are
the differences to 11, though.

> Starting from 5.6 all releases can remain binary compatible with java 8,
> but the build itself may leverage the java 11 compiler to start testing
> java 8+ compatibility, as required by TAP5-2611, for example.

Agreed too.

And thanks Dmitry for starting this important discussion!

--
Thiago