tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: open bug list / website
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:11:17 GMT
> I don't want to sound ignorant, but rather, I would like to have a
> clear idea about these:

No, no: I'm glad you ask. I'd rather be sure we talk about the same
thing.

> > - Change default behaviour of web::log with respect to subst
>
> In what way?  What does it do now with subst, and how should it
> behave?

right now, web::log takes the log string and runs a subst on it. The
idea is:

     web::log debug {gimme the stats: [stats]}

this does not call stats unless the log level is debug, which can be
quite a performance boost.

Now the problem is that up to websh2 web::log (wpp_log at the time)
did NOT do this. -> It oftens more than just regularely that people
here use

     web::log debug "gimme the stats: [stats]"

in websh3. This not only corrupts the performance, but is also quite
dangerous, because [stats] might return something like "I could call
[exec \rm -rf]" because sometimes user input is logged.

My proposal here is: instead of providing a flag to disable
substitution in logging, I would provide a flag to enable substitution
and let the default be not to [subst]. -> Change the default in
[web::config logsubst ?boolean?]. -> Turn subst on is a explicit
thing, so it's clear that the programmer knows what he/she does.

> > - Modify/Adapt packaging (autoconf etc.)
>
> With what goal in mind?

The current setup with a separate Makefile for mod_websh is no good. In
stead of "Modify/Adapt" one could write "Cleanup": make sure the rules
work, change the all rule to include mod_websh and so on.

> > - Adapt directroy structure for apache 1.3/apache 2.0
>
> What is the problem?

I think this was solved before I sent yuo the tar ball. see below.

> > - Incorporate changes for Apache 2 into source Make the changes so
> > that modwebsh can be compiled against Apache 2 and Apache 1.3, as
> > well as changes in the autoconf so that the 'normal' Makefile can be
> > used.
>
> This is done in the tarball I have.  How comfortable with it do you feel?

Yeah, that's what I just did before I sent you the tar. I did this in
a hurry and I'm not really happy with it, because the bunches of
#ifdefs do not realy make the code mre readable. But for the moment:
as long as it works I'm fine. As soon as we have to fix stuff for
mod_websh it certainly makes sense to look at the specific places in
the code and at least try to optimize for readablility.

> > - tcl_platform alike info for websh/mod_websh
>
> I assume you mean add information for websh in that variable?

Originally I think we planned our own variable, but thinking of it:
why not just add some additional info in the same hash... Only
restriction: we should comply to TEA, but I don't know what they say
about exstension info (we could also add websh_version,
and websh_patchLevel variables)

Hope that helps

Ronnie
Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 79 Fax: +41 1 247 70 75