tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: "cleanups": 4726
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 09:41:10 GMT
> I keep thinking about this one...  I think it might be interesting to
> make a more global package based on this thought.  I recently made a
> comp.lang.tcl posting to that effect as well.
>
> Basically, the plan would be to have two checkpoints.  An entry
> checkpoint, and an exit checkpoint.  Everything created between the
> two gets deleted when the exit checkpoint is hit.  Naturally, some
> commands to save certain things would be necessary, as well.  Maybe
> also configuration options for things such as whether to destroy
> variables and/or channels...
>
> Thoughts?

How about something like

    % set current [getstate]
    state1
    % # do whatever you want
    % setstate $current
    state1
    % set current
    can't read "current": no such variable
    %

I don't really see the implementation yet, but from the (Tcl)
developers point of view this is certainly very easy to understand and
handle. The problem however: the implementation either needs lots of
memory (just "copy" the complete state of the interpreter) or is very
expensive and has a huge impact on the rest of the code (track all
changes to the interpreter for a "rollback")

Ronnie
Netcetera AG, 8040 Zuerich    phone +41 1 247 79 79 Fax: +41 1 247 70 75