tcl-websh-dev mailing list archives

From Ronnie Brunner <ron...@netcetera.ch>
Subject Re: tarball
Date Tue, 30 Jul 2002 18:23:05 GMT
> > - should not include the CVS directories
>
> You think not?  I kind of like having them available when I download a
> project.  They are the anonymous CVS ones, and so can by used by joe
> user.

Well ... I c ur point. Still reluctant ;-)

> > - in any case: when really creating the tar we *must* tag the
> > repository, so we know what's in the source tar ball. I'll think of
> > an automatic way for the future. For now I suggest:
> >
> >     cd path/to/tcl-websh
> >     cvs tag websh-3_5_0
> >
> >   Note that tag names can't contain '.', that's why the '_' come in.
>
> What happens if we change some little thing - does that mean we have
> to retag?  I have never used these, so I'm not sure what the best
> practices are.

Definitly: whenever we create a new build (i.e. tar ball) we'll have
to create a new tag with a new version number. Depending on the size
of the changes, we can tag the next release websh-3_5_0_1 or
websh-3_6_0 or whatever. The important thing is that the release will
be named accordingly: websh-3.5.0.1.tar.gz and so on.

Internally we use a tool (ncabuild) which takes care of these version
issues, tagging, adding an entry to the ChangeLog and so on. It's a
Tcl script that calls cvs. The problem to use it here is only that we
need to create builds in non-anonymous CVS, because the tagging needs
access to CVS (This would be an argument not to include the CVS
subdirectories in the build).

As I suggested in the mail I sent you directly: I could work on that
on Friday if we can wait that long... One of the things I'd try to do
is to adapt our ncabuild tool, so we can create semi-automatic builds
for websh. And if we can fix the version number issues (consistency +
naming) I'd be happier to release ...