tez-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Targeting a 0.3.0-incubating release
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 19:17:19 GMT
Hi Tsuyoshi,

Short answer to your question is yes, the pig/hive folks should move to 0.3.0 sooner rather
than later ( but there is no reason they cannot stick to 0.2.0 ). From the tez community point
of view, given that we are still in the early stages of the product, we would like to see
a fast moving project and push the onus on users to upgrade to newer versions to get both
new features, perf improvements as well as bug fixes. This policy will change however as both
Hive and Pig moves towards production-ready releases though.

Having talked to both the Hive and Pig folks offline, here is what I know:

  - Hive has been using the 0.2.0 release and will likely move to 0.3.0 given that some of
the new features such as Vertex Groups, custom edges are being used by Hive in their tez branch.
  - Pig currently uses the latest snapshots from the master branch and depending on their
release timelines, will move to either using the 0.3.0 release or 0.4.0 if it is available
by then. Bikas is looking at addressing a lot of the API cleanup for 0.4.0 though which the
Pig folks will have to handle if they move to 0.4.0.

I have CC'ed some of the Hive and Pig folks if they would like to chime in.

thanks
-- Hitesh

On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:49 AM, Tsuyoshi OZAWA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> About 0.3 release itself, LGTM :-) Let's go ahead.
>
> One my question is how to collaborate with application
> developers like Hive or Pig project.
> Should these developers be recommended to upgrade
> from 0.2 to 0.3?
> We should clarify the polity against the application developers
> though I know Tez is in alpha stage. What do you think?
>
> Thanks, Tsuyoshi
>

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 2:53 PM, Hitesh Shah <hitesh@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> Given that our last release was in early December, 2013, it seems like a good time
to target a new release. I believe most of the critical security related fixes have gone in
and the few that remain in TEZ-669 could be targeted for a future release.

>> I have marked a few jiras that could be considered blockers for a 0.3.0 release to
ensure good usability ( the list is open for discussion - feel free to add any other issues
if you deem them to be blockers ):