tez-dev mailing list archives

From Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net>
Subject Re: ClassNotFoundException with custom InputFormat.
Date Wed, 17 Jun 2015 23:40:45 GMT
cross posting down to dev… should continue the discussion there I believe.

as I understand it, all Cascading users familiar with packaging a Hadoop job jar with a lib
folder, in which the packaged custom InputFormat is placed — pulled from maven etc, will
have this issue.

this also expands to projects on top of Cascading including Scalding and Cascalog.

oddly the org.apache.tez.client.AMConfiguration has a

private Map<String, String> env;

but is unused.

> On Jun 17, 2015, at 4:32 PM, Andre Kelpe <akelpe@concurrentinc.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> we are currently running into a problem when a user of Cascading uses a custom InputFormat
with Tez. The ApplicationMaster is running into a ClassNotFoundException when calculating
the splits, since we are unable to control the environment/classpath visibile to the ApplicationMaster.
We have a work-around, where the users have to supply a fat-jar to make it work, but we need
to be able to support other ways as well.

> When interacting with the DAG, we are able to pass along a custom environment/classpath,
but that API is missing on the TezClient, causing the AppMaster to fail, when the user is
using classic hadoop style jars (embedded lib directory).

> In order to get lingual, our SQL layer on top of Cascading to work correctly, we need
a way to supply the environment in a more dynamic way then one fatjar, so it would be great
if the API could be extendend to do that.

> I have opened https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-2563 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TEZ-2563>
>
> Thanks!
>
> - André
>
> --