tez-dev mailing list archives

From Bikas Saha <bi...@hortonworks.com>
Subject RE: Cascading 3.0 Now Available
Date Fri, 12 Jun 2015 17:52:24 GMT
Great news!

Bikas

From: Patrick Duin [mailto:patduin@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 4:00 AM
To: cascading-user@googlegroups.com
Cc: user@tez.apache.org; pattern-user@googlegroups.com; dev@tez.apache.org; lingual-user@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Cascading 3.0 Now Available

Congrats on the release!

We've got our test framework Plunger hooked up to the new release.

plunger-3.0.0 supports cascading-3.0.0

Available in maven central, see https://github.com/HotelsDotCom/plunger

Kind regards,
 Patrick

On Thursday, 11 June 2015 19:56:04 UTC+1, Chris K Wensel wrote:

Hey all,

In case you missed it, 3.0.0 is out!

http://www.cascading.org/2015/06/08/cascading-3-0-release/

It took over a year and a half of work to get this release out. Though it feels anti-climatic
at this point having been knee deep in it for so long, Cascading 3.0 is a major milestone.

The Apache Tez support is important, but as importantly we have proven we can execute the
Cascading intermediate model over multiple distinct computation execution models.

This was achieved by isolating the API coupling and embody the semantic mapping from Cascading
to the target execution model via rules in the query planner.

Some of the thought behind the planner can be read here: http://www.cascading.org/2014/09/18/the-cascading-3-0-query-planner/

Still lacking is good documentation on leveraging the query planner for application specific
optimizations.

I plan to incrementally build this knowledge base up as we begin work on additional platform
support, and work with other teams like Apache Flink and Hazelcast (https://hazelcast.atlassian.net/wiki/display/COM/HEP+6+-+Cascading+Integration),
and obviously Apache Spark.

Thanks every who has tested and/or offered guidance!!

chris

p.s.

Do note that the current GA release of Driven does not support Cascading 3.

If interested in being notified when Driven EAP can be used with Cascading 3 and Apache Tez,
please sign up here: http://www.cascading.org/join/

—
Chris K Wensel
ch...@wensel.net<javascript:>