tez-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Updating CHANGES.txt to track fixes/commits
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 22:31:25 GMT
Given that we have parallel branches going with their own different timelines on when a maintenance/patch
release is done, what does folks think about the way we are currently tracking what changes
went into each and every particular branch/release?

For example, a commit for say TEZ-11111 would have been committed to master, branch 0.7, branch
0.6 and branch 0.5. Putting the entry for TEZ-11111 into only one section in CHANGES.txt makes
it confusing to figure out which release the fix is available in.

There are multiple options we could take:
    1) Create a CHANGES.txt/release notes from the git commit log for a given branch.
    2) Add an entry into every release section in CHANGES.txt i.e. 4 entries for TEZ-11111
in master CHANGES.txt and corresponding one into the relevant CHANGES.txt for each branch

The above are not completely useful to the user unless JIRA is kept in sync and up to date
to match the branches in which the fix was committed. Likewise for setting “Affect Versions”
correctly.

Any other options/ideas?

thanks
— Hitesh