tez-dev mailing list archives

From Siddharth Seth <ss...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Updating CHANGES.txt to track fixes/commits
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 19:54:50 GMT
It does get fairly confusing on where a patch goes in with the multiple
releases which are in progress right now.
Putting an entry in the earliest version isn't very useful either - since
it's tough to figure out order of releases. Fixed in 0.5.4, but was it in
0.6.2 would depend on whether 0.6.2 was released after.
Also we often end up back-porting patches at a later point, at which point
- there's multiple entries. However, they're not necessarily in all
sections.

Using the commit log may be a good option. We'll have to be careful about
commit messages getting the jira number correct, and potentially have a
pattern for addendum patches and corrections, so that a script can easily
parse this.
Figuring out incompatible changes isn't easy from this - without querying
jira in parallel.

The fix version in jira - if set to all versions where a patch goes in -
would work well also. There can be a single jira query to check for
versions, title, incompatible and potentially release notes - if something
specific needs to be called out for a fix.

Setting affects version to all relevant versions helps as well - for users
to lookup whether a bug exists in a specific version, and when it was
fixed. This would likely need to be set to the min version within a release
line where it exists. The diff between that and the fix version should give
an idea of the range of releases where a bug exists.

- Sid