tez-dev mailing list archives

From Jaume Marhuenda <jmarhue...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Merge process for contributions
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2018 17:05:51 GMT
Hi Jonathan,

I’d be happy to drive process. I’ll try to come up with a more formal proposition that
tackles the talking points, which I think are all relevant.

Jaume

On 7/24/18, 9:42 AM, "Jonathan Eagles" <jeagles@gmail.com> wrote:

    Thanks Jaume for bringing up this discussion.

    I am in agreement that the development process is fluid and should change
    and evolve in the same way as our code base. After looking into this, I can
    see that git itself supports a separate committer and author natively and
    github likewise supports this feature set and preserves committer and
    author fields.

    Jaume would you be willing to drive the process update by gathering
    consensus and new process and then updating process in How to Contribute to
    Tez cwiki?

    Couple of talking points.
    - Limiting barriers to contributions. Requiring a github account to
    contribute is a barriers that may exclude some contributors. Keeping a
    flexible process where both patches and github PRs can work seems like a
    very good thing.
    - Github Tez Pre-Commit process. Currently PRs submitted to github don't
    automatically start the Tez Pre-Commit process. If github PRs are allowed
    as part of the process, they should have the same feature set as patches
    and integrate fully with Tez Pre-Commit (though Yetus?)
    - Patch process with author. Author field can be extended to patches via
    git command line in a few ways. Author email can be added to the current
    patch process by committer via git commit --author="author email". Although
    getting email address can be problematic as pointed out above. Another way
    could be git diff can be replaced with git format-patch <branch>
    (--no-prefix) --stdout > TEZ-ID.REV.patch that will include configured
    email address as well as Commit message. Patches can be applied with
    corresponding cat TEZ-ID.REV.patch | git am (-p0). Reference:
    https://robots.thoughtbot.com/send-a-patch-to-someone-using-git-format-patch

    jeagles

    On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 4:53 PM, Jaume Marhuenda <jmarhuenda@hortonworks.com